Sutherlandia frutescens, a popular plant in traditional medicine, is indigenous to South Africa, Lesotho, southern Namibia and south-eastern Botswana. It is the active ingredient in Promune capsules and Promune drops and boost Immunity.
A number of recent published scientific studies on Sutherlandia have shown interesting results, including anti-HIV activity, anti-oxidant activity, anti-inflammatory activity, anti-cancer activity, and also potential drug interaction between Sutherlandia and anti-retroviral drugs.
The presence of high levels of free amino acids, non-protein amino acids such as canavanine and GABA, the cyclitol pinitol, flavanols and triterpenes provide plausible hypotheses on how these compounds, individually or collectively, may be responsible for the reputed efficacy in a wide range of ailments.
Because of its efficacy as a safe tonic for diverse health conditions it has enjoyed a long history of use by all cultures in Southern Africa. Sutherlandia powerfully assists the body to mobilise its own resources to cope with diverse physical and mental stresses, and it should therefore be more correctly known as an adaptogenic tonic.
Current and historical traditional and folk-uses of Sutherlandia include:
- Central Nervous System: for mental and emotional stress, irritability, anxiety and depression.
- Respiratory System: to combat the symptoms of flu and overcome post-flu debility, prevention and treatment of the symptoms of asthma, treatment of symptoms of TB, including wasting, and bronchitis.
- Gastrointestinal System: for ‘heartburn’, reflux oesophagitis, gastritis and peptic ulceration. Historically it has been used to treat diarrhoea and dysentery, and was used as a supportive remedy for people with liver conditions. It is slightly purgative at higher doses, therefore serves as a gentle remedy for constipation.
- Urogenital tract: for urinary tract infections, including gonorrhoea, and cystitis – ‘interstitial cystitis’.
- Diabetes: widely used by rural herbalists to treat diabetes.
- Muscular-skeletal: for treatment of gout, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Cancer: to improve quality of life in patients with malignant tumours.
Collectively its components have the following actions amongst others:
- Vasodilatory (Hypertension)
- Antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal
- Inhibitor of Tumour Necrosis Factor (TNF) excess production of which is known to derive the wasting process in cancer, tuberculosis and AIDS.
Dosage and directions for use:
Take two capsules once a daily after a meal.
Persons weighing less than 70 kg: One capsule per day.
Adults: 15 drops (0,5 ml) twice daily
Children (4 – 14 years): 5 drops twice daily